Sunday, March 26, 2006

What I really want to do right now is write a revision timetable. This is odd. I never stick to them, and they are scary and cause woe, and it may cause me to weep, but they give my life some purpose. As do essays, but the essays at the moment are hurried and very due in, and therefore worrying.
In other developments I have confirmed the fact that spending periods of time away from my family makes me a happier person, and am contemplating forgiving the Wachowski brothers everything because they got the Valerie monologue right. And Weaving was excellent casting, as was Rea. I do not, however, feel quite generous enough to forgive the random tacked on romantic subplot. That was daft. And didn't work visually because he was wearing a mask. The lure of another essay calls me.

7 Comments:

Blogger bornunder said...

I could read this for hours...in fact I might

7:46 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

I can't quite see why, but thanks.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rea and Weaving were indeed excellent casting. Actually the casting all round was excellent, from Hurt to Fry (Stephen Fry as a gay comedian, who'd have thought it?) it was perfect all round.

Was impressed by Portman too, that was an admirable English accent. Overall I really enjoyed the film, though it was hampered by some of the Wachowski clunky dialogue.

Slightly worried by all the scary people saying it's glorifying terrorism.

5:27 PM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

I don't think it really glorifies terrorism, given that V's actions are pretty dubious at points and it's quite good for moral ambiguity.

Stephen Fry's character was (as I almost yelled in the cinema) absolutely pointless and they got rid of a lot of the good points of the comic to give him a plot. Also I didn't like the dissidence-starting-from-prominent-figure aspect of that part of the story, society slowly crumbling because of the actions of ordinary people is better. Portman's accent turned Australian at times, although it was good for most of the film.

Hurt was absolute genius in terms of casting. I like the idea of casting an actor who played Winston Smith as a Big Brother figure, and he did look very like Lenin as well.

I thought it was slightly hampered by the completely fairytale ending (yes, armed soldiers stand down without orders, don't they?) but it did rather appeal to the "irrational side of the brain". And featured Trafalgar Square.

Oh, and ill. Again

9:31 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

Frankly I feel weak, consumptive and pthitic, but I should be in school tomorrow.

I can't see why either. V was not quite Marlovian enough, anyway (more to do with him being written out in favour of Steven Fry at points rather than Weaving's performance)

10:01 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

I am alive and working and reading the sequel to Wicked. Nice book.

9:44 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

No, my father bought it yesterday. 'tis good fun. I will lend you Wicked, if you like, although the sequel is better for subtextness.

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home