Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I feel we need some new icons. Therefore I suggest:
Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, because he is so wonderful, I adore him and his thoughts on the nature of free will are those which everyone has thought at some stage, often when in certain lessons, or in certain wardrobes...

Sean Connery in the late nineteen seventies/ early-mid nineteen eighties (the period which includes "Robin and Marian" "Time Bandits" "The Man Who Would be King" and "Highlander"). Not actually as an icon, because he doesn't embody the subculture enough. Just as officially recognised as really cool, since in one of those films a nun says "I love you more than God" to him.

The Sheriff of Nottingham. (Yes, I know everyone will reject this one). He's really sweet and lovely...

And Chauvelin, for the lurking in opera boxes wearing black. Something to which everyone should aspire really.

And yes, we are allowed fictional hermits, since Arthur Dent is fictional. (As Saint Kevin may well be).

Finally, History needs more bicycles. I am launching a campaign to a) build a time machine and b) send bicycles back to important moments in history, possibly persuading participants that they are a great secret weapon and therefore making them all bicycle. But, since I cannot do Maths, or Physics, and am afraid of time travel, I will need help.

That will be all for now.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bicycle is an awesome idea, unfortunately I'm not likely to be of any use in the making of the machine either.

3:46 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

I'm going to see whether it can be powered by inspiring rhetoric, which might be fun.

11:03 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

"I will get an axe and sew it into my jacket..."

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely reading Russian novels in cupboards is the symptom of a complex, not the cause of one? It's also a very amusing one.

The Sheriff in Robin and Marian is definitely allowed. Hell, even the one in Prince of Thieves has a certain cool value as he's played by Alan Rickman.

And if we're going to allow people based on general coolness, surely we're allowed Audrey Hepburn? Extremely cool, plus was in Robin and Marian with Sean Connery.

Ralph Richardson also.

9:22 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

No, we cannot have any character played by Alan Rickman, but the threat to "carve out your heart with a rusty spoon" is brilliant in Prince of Thieves.

I think I was suggesting we note 70s/80s Connery for his coolness rather than accepting him as an icon, since I cannot think of an argument, and if we allow people solely on coolness there will be pandemonium. Unless we base icons on people I wanted to be aged seven, which might be strange. We can also note Hepburn's coolness.

Ralph Richardson is LITERALLY God. (or rather the Supreme Being).

Regarding cupboards, it's a perfectly sensible form of stress relief and prevents activities involving needlework and axes.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home