Thursday, October 20, 2005

New iconic things
Really, we have insufficient anthems. Ok, until recently they matched the number of members of this subculture but... we need more.
* Kings of Convenience Two anthemic songs, well maybe more but it would be unbalancing were I to list them:
"I'd Rather Dance With You". Synopsis: I have absolutely nothing of interest to say, nor do you. However, you are very attractive and I enjoy your company...

"Stay Out of Trouble" Sample Lyric "Stay out of trouble, stay in touch/ Try not to think about me too much" (Words of an uninterested beloved to her lover.) Very sweet song, sums up obsessiveness pretty well.

Other songs... I still think "Handsome Devil" is very iconic, maybe branching out of indie/rock and into "strange skits" might be fun. That way we can include....


"Friendly duet" by Flanders and Swann. "Said to Romeo Juliet/ "I haven't left school yet/ We're friends/ Just Friends" Carries on to discuss the platonic relationships of Pyramus and Thisbe, Napoleon and Josephine etc.

And
"Poisoning Pigeons In The Park" By Tom Lehrer. Need I say more than the title?

6 Comments:

Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

There are three, including you.Some people who are but don't feel it really describes them, so have elected not to count. But two committed/actual members.
And Edgar Allan Poe can be cheery. "The Cask of Amontillado", very cheery story, also "the Black Cat"

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think someone played that Lehrer song to me once. Hmm.. rings a bell, or perhaps just connected to that wonderful comic (yay for A Softer World).

I am not the greatest fan of 'I'd Rather Dance With You' but as I am not strictly a member I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Oo.. and am now reading 'Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit'. Am attempting to read all possibly compromising literature while mother works and am on half term and therefore with more time to spend. Tis also a good way of avoiding things like the writing of french orals.

11:15 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

No, you must read Winterson while your mother is at home and hide it! Sorry, your opinion doesn't count. At least 2/3 of the subculture like it, so it's staying.
Lehrer is wonderful, and a Harvard chemist.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What difference does it make if I read it while she's not here or hide it and read surreptiously while she is?

And I am used to my opinion not counting. I will, however, continue to express it whenever most inappropriate.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to suggest "Beautiful World" by Colin Hay as an iconic song. Sample lyric: "My, my, my, it's a beautiful world/ I like sleeping with Marie/ She is one sexy girl, full of mystery/ She says she doesn't love me, but she enjoys my company/ For now that's good enough for me."

And for the record: it is a common misconception that comedy is much easier to act/direct than sad/depressing/serious drama. The truth is that it is much easier to direct/act comedy badly. But people think: "oh, it's ok, it's only comedy, people will laugh and it will be good." Completely forgetting the insane difficulty of comic timing and staging.

2:47 AM  
Blogger pseudo bohemian loser said...

That was why I was suggesting straight drama or tragedy, I hate badly acted/directed comedy. Our anthems are fast outnumbering members, but I will add "Beautiful World" Also "Everyone's your friend in New York City" by They Might Be Giants.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home